Il Groto

Le riserve

It took years of research and testing to find the right combination of grapes for this excellent red wine. It is a full bodied and harmonious wine combining an intense and complex nose of red and black berries, spices, and dried grasses. On the palate the taste of jam lingers with an added note of ginger. The tannins give an excellent balance to this wines full-bodied taste.

GRAPE VARIETALS

Corvina, Rondinella, Dindarella, Croatina and other locally grown grapes to complete.

THE VINEYARDS: Geographical location and characteristics

All the vineyards are situated to the northwest of Verona. The average age is 30 years and up to 50 years amongst the Dindarella vines. The land is ancient, stony, and thin soiled.

SYSTEMS: method and density

40% simple Veronese pergola with 3,000 vines per hectare. The remainder as Guyot with a further 5,000 vines.

THE HARVEST: Timing and method

Some early maturing grapes are allowed to over-ripen for around 20 days; the harvest is therefore done by hand around the end of September to the beginning of October.

VINIFICATION

The vinification is carried out in containers of maximum 10,000 litre volume with automatic delestage remixing. This allows the optimum extraction of the must and minimises any loss of quality from the grapes. The fermentation process continues for about 15 days at room temperature. After being decanted and filtered a number of times, 70% of the wine is transferred to large oak casks whilst the remaining 30% is allowed to age in medium-toasted new French oak barriques for at least six months.

IL GROTO AND FOOD

This wine is perfect to accompany meats from raw ham to game with its particular sauces. It is ideally served in large crystal glasses at around 18C to 20C.